Hi Everyone! This is an update to this post from late November where I indicated that my job was being eliminated and that I needed to figure out employment for my family.
I’m finally at a point where I know how things will proceed. Here’s the really fast version:
- I’m becoming a stay at home dad, which will allow me to resume my work on the project (about 10 hours / week for now, and back to 20-25 hours per week in a few months).
And here are the details of what’s happened these last 4 months:
- Finding another job in my company was not feasible because my family was not in a position to move to a new city
- So, I completed the three certifications I needed to make me more marketable in my field
- After a few weeks of applying, I received a job offer at a new company
- On the same day, my wife received a job offer as well
- I don’t enjoy my field of work, while she was hoping to be able to go back to work after a few years of taking care of the kids
- So, we decided to swap roles (whew!)
- I am resuming my work on the project at a rate of about 10 hours per week
- Once the kids start school in a few months, I’ll have more time to spare, so I should be able to return to my previous time commitment at that point (whoo hoo!)
- Down the road, if income becomes an issue then at least I’ll have the needed qualifications to find employment once again
Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement. I feel very happy with how this has played out, and I’m relieved to have some certainty about the path forward. I look forward to being able to share my own progress updates again! 🙂