This week I’ll show you all the progress I’ve made with the sub-screen and inventory screen textures and models. This remaster work will be for all 5 languages. Please take a look at the entire gallery bellow.
- OPTION SCREEN: I was lucky enough to find the original texture used for the OPTION screen. It was in a texture library (used by Capcom) that a colleague shared with us. The “HD Texture” option in this PC port simply used a random marble texture that was too saturated and not faithful to the original, as you can see in the first images in the gallery at the end of this post.
- INVENTORY BACKGROUND IMAGES: These textures were quite decently remastered, but they were not at a high enough resolution. So, I used the original Gamecube textures as reference for our own remastered versions of these textures. Again, I found some of the original textures Capcom used back in the day, and I restored the “My life has been saved” inscription from the original. I asked a friend of mine who knows Japanese about the Kanji you can see in the original Gamecube texture, but he wasn’t able to decipher that blurry mess… EDIT: Someone found the text! So, I updated the gallery picture 🙂
- WEAPONS and other item MODELS: The models used for all post-Gamecube versions have less polygons than the original Gamecube version. It seems they kept (perhaps by accident?) the low-poly versions from the PS2 port of the game. I restored and even improved all of these models. There is a limitation with these models that crashes the game if the file size of certain files are larger than the original, but I found that there is some dispensable data that can be removed from the .bin files (the 3D models), and even entire .bin files that are unused in-game. And thanks to Son of Persia and his programming skills, we were able to generate beautiful and better 3D models at lower file sizes. Otherwise, these sub-screen model improvements would be impossible!
- WEAPONS and other items TEXTURES: The UHD team remastered the sub-screen items and weapons using higher resolution versions of the same textures you can find in other contexts of the game. But they didn’t notice that the textures needed to be lightened… because the sub-screen and Merchant shop backgrounds are quite dark…
- BOTTLE CAPS, FILE ORGANIZER, MAP, MERCHANT STORE… Everything has been remastered but I’m not sure if the bottle cap icons need a remaster. They look quite decent. I only restored one of the Ganado’s wooden shields and the background, of course.
Ok! And that’s all for now!