For the longest time I’ve wanted to make an HD texture pack for Resident Evil 4, specifically for the Wii version played through Dolphin (since it retains all of the original effects from the GCN). I’ve come across texture mods in the past, for both the PC version and for Dolphin, but for some reason even the best ones I’ve seen don’t seem to actually update every single texture, or the creator made what seem to be bad choices from an art perspective.
With the announcement of the Ultimate HD version we have confirmation from screenshots that while some textures have been upgraded, many havent. So it seems safe to say that an official 100% across-the-board HD revamp of the game isn’t coming anytime soon, so I figure this is as good a time as any to do this.
* I’ve never really done this before.
* I don’t have a tablet, so this is all Photoshop + mouse/KB for now
* My intent is to be true to the original textures and look of the game where possible
* I don’t have a lot of free time, so this will be a project that will likely take 1-2 years to finish
* I’m resizing each texture to be 4 times the original size, but a Photoshop version of each texture will be saved at 8 times the original size
Observations so far:
* While I originally thought this game was so amazing-looking on the GCN, looking at the actual textures and seeing how they’re mapped onto the character model makes me appreciate the effort it must have taken to work within the technical limitations of the time.
* It feels impossible to get some parts of the model looking right because the textures get warped or wrapped around in weird ways that distort it.
* The inner lining of Leon’s coat is one area where I wish there were a few more polygons 🙂
Please provide me your feedback – but be gentle – I’m new to this whole thing. 🙂[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”1″ display=”basic_thumbnail” thumbnail_width=”240″ thumbnail_height=”160″ thumbnail_crop=”0″ show_slideshow_link=”0″ display_view=”default-view.php” template=”/var/www/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/ngglegacy/view/gallery.php”]