I’ve created this page so Steam Deck users can help each other installing the HD project.
I don’t have a Steam Deck, so I can’t help with this. Right now, I have a guide that “Nex” made for the HD project. Thanks!
You can send your comments, rectifications, ideas, etc. So this page will be a good guide for other people that want to install the HD project on their Steam Deck. Based on feedback I’ll do the corrections, clarifications or alternative ways of installing it.
The goal is to get the easiest and most comprehensive guide. Thanks, and here we go!
resident evil 4 HD project 1.1
Installation Instructions on Steam Deck (by Nex)
- Download RE4 to your Steam Deck.
NOTE: It’s strongly recommended to install it on the SSD.
- Download HD project 1.1 and extract if needed.
- Once downloaded, run RE4 on deck and then shut it down. (Some initial running games can generate additional folders/files, So, this step is just in case.)
NOTE: Highly advised you use a keyboard and mouse from here on, it will make the process much easier.
- Go to desktop mode on the Deck, and add re4HDProject-setup.exe to Steam via Add A Game > Add a Non-Steam Game.
- Once added to steam, find re4HDProject-setup.exe in your Steam game list, and right-click it, go to “Properties” and then “Compatibility” in the new window. Check “Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool”, and select one of the versions of Proton used (I personally used 7.0-3 though any/the latest will probably work).
- Open up KWrite on your Steam Deck by hitting the Steam Deck taskbar icon, and looking in under “Utilities”.
- (THIS STEP, ONLY IF RE4 IS INSTALLED ON A SD CARD, IF YOU ARE INSTALLING IT ON THE SSD, SKIP THIS STEP) Go back to re4HDProject-setup.exe in your Steam game list and open its “Properties” window. Scroll down to “Launch Options” and add the line:
NOTE: Technically, this command on a brand new Steam Deck should be STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ %command%
But depending on if the user has tinkered with it, it may not be at /run/media/mmcblk0p1/
Other guides for different game mods using a similar install method state the general commend if the game is on an SD card should be STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/path-to-sd-card-here %command%
NOTE 2: Any extra advice regarding this Step “7” (installation of the HD project on a SD card) is welcomed!
- Run re4HDProject-setup.exe, proceed with the installation until it asks where “Resident Evil 4” is installed. From here we need to find the exact path RE4 is installed because the Mod installer will not allow you to point to the RE4 folder because it will be missing a drive-letter. So go find “Resident Evil 4” in your steam list. Right click and go to “Properties”, then “Local Files”, and hit the “Browse” button. This will bring you to where RE4 is installed in the Dolphin file explorer. Click on the directory path at the top of the window and copy the path. It will be something similar or identical to:
/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/Steamapps/common/Resident Evil 4/
Once this is copied, paste this path into KWrite.
- Once this is pasted into KWrite, you will want to add a drive letter into the path. Proton does use drive letters, but we just need to know what they are. The SSD drive letter is “Z” and the SD card drive letter is probably “E”. So the line will look something like:
Z:/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/Steamapps/common/Resident Evil 4/
- Now all you need to do is replace all the “/” in the file path with “\” So now it will look something like:
Z:\home\deck.local\share\Steam\Steamapps\common\Resident Evil 4\
Once this is all typed up, copy it and paste it back into re4HDProject-setup.exe installation window, and it should resume the process normally.
- Once it’s done, stay in the Decks Desktop mode, go back into Steam and find “Resident Evil 4” in your game list, and right click it, go to “Properties” and under “General” and then “Launch options” add the line:
This is the correct line: https://pastebin.com/Myi4jvfP (WordPress converts the quotation marks, so please, copy the line you’ll find in this link)
- At this point, the game should be good to go. Run the game while still in Desktop mode. If it has installed correctly, upon launch it will prompt you to install the 4GB Patch. Accept, and the game should be good.
- After this initial run you can go back to running it in Gaming mode, this first launch is to make sure the 4GB Patch installs.
- Now you can remove re4HDProject-setup.exe from the Steam list, it won’t be used any more unless you want to reinstall the mod.