Click here to proceed: Castle Release Instructions and Download
It’s been a while since my last regular post. Well… I think this one won’t be all that “regular” either, but at least I’ll show you some new progress with the Island areas!
First of all, I wanted to share with you that I had surgery in my left eye a few days ago. It was nothing too serious: subcapsular cataracts. It’s a kind of cataract that affects even young people. Hey, but now I have a brand new crystalline! 🙂 My right eye received its surgery 3 years ago, and so I finally have complete cyborg vision haha.
And just in case someone is wondering, this disease is hereditary and wasn’t caused by straining my eyes too much. I’m saying this because a lot of people tell me: “This happened because you spend too many hours in front of the screen!!!”
It’s been really annoying to work with a “fog filter” during all this time but I fended for myself pretty well. Here’s a re-creation of how my vision was before the surgery:
Now everything looks so clean and contrasted…
The main post-operative impact is that I lost the capacity to focus, which means that for the rest of my life I’ll need to use glasses for short distance viewing, no matter what.
That said, here are some of the work-in-progress comparison shots for room 330. This room is not as terrible as 329 was, but I’m really happy this is the last area with lab equipment.
I’ve been able to locate some of the original source photography and machinery used in this stage, and this saved me some re-creation time.
About the 3D edits: Almost everything has been remapped / remodeled / touched up. I also added a pair of fluorescent tubes with their corresponding light and bloom effects because there were 2 light sources in the room coming from nowhere.
As usual, I hope you enjoy the work in progress pictures and video!
Hi Everyone! This is an update to this post from late November where I indicated that my job was being eliminated and that I needed to figure out employment for my family.
I’m finally at a point where I know how things will proceed. Here’s the really fast version:
And here are the details of what’s happened these last 4 months:
Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement. I feel very happy with how this has played out, and I’m relieved to have some certainty about the path forward. I look forward to being able to share my own progress updates again! 🙂
Long time since the last “look familiar” entry! 🙂
— RE4 HD Project (@re4hdproject) February 16, 2017
Hi everyone! Today we’re happy to share a trailer for the upcoming Castle release, with some key information about the release date. Enjoy and please share! 🙂
We will share more specifics as the date approaches. Thanks everyone!!
Let’s continue with the Pre-castle Release screenshots.
Again, I’ve done lots of lighting edits. Here I’m showing some of them. Even I’m alss doing effect refinements and replacements, I’m not sharing any of them because the differences are barely noticeable in a simple screenshot. So… you’ll have to check them by yourselves when the Castle section is out! 🙂
Have a good weekend!
Happy New Year to everyone! (with one week delay :P)
Here goes a second batch! As I mentioned in the previous post, I’m doing the final refinements to the Castle section of the game. These final edits consist of some aditional 3D work and lighting adjustments.
I’m really happy with the results and I can’t wait all of you to play the Castle pack so you’ll understand some of these changes 🙂
Let’s back to work!
Hi! And Merry Christmas to everyone!
I’m going to put the final touches to the Castle section of the game during the next weeks. In the meantime, I’m going to post a few of the latest edits I’m doing.
At this point, I’d say this is the most we can do with this game! Textures, 3D edits, lighting and effect edits… Who would have imagined? … I definitely didn’t!!
Hi! Just a quick update today. The infamous missing flare lens effect is back after a looong vacations:
I’m working hard to make the castle rooms as final as possible (touching up lighting and effects here and there) before the release date arrives 😉
Have a nice weekend!
Hi! Today’s post is filled with quite interesting stuff!
Regular room update (room 329):
This room has been the toughest in terms of the remastering process. The original had everything I fear the most:
I’m quite happy with the results after overcoming all of these obstacles. I consistently had the feeling that I was finishing a beta version of a game while remastering this area. An “unfinished work” vibe was present in every part of this room…
As I mentioned elsewhere, the huge amount of work for this area gave me some room for creativity. So, feel free to comment about the work-in-progress comparison shots and video!
Technical improvements – part 3:
I wanted to save this for a separate post, but the screenshots speak for themselves! I’m talking about Lighting Improvements. I found out a way to edit the real time-light sources. This is what I’m able modify so far:
All these edits are possible by editing certain bytes inside the stages’ LIT files. The intent is to edit just the most obvious inaccuracies. Right now the possibilities are unlimited, so we’ll try to exercise sound judgement 😉
And that’s all for now! I’m keeping a few extra things for a future “Part 4” hehe 😛
I’ll also post a few more examples of lighting improvements next time!
Have a nice weekend!!